SEEKING WISDOM

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

wAsSup with "CINTA"??!!!


If you have a partner, whatever their status are... still dating, engaged, married, or whatever, normally you'll have a love-calling for him/her. Some called their partner, "dear", "honey", "babe", "say.."(indonesian), or whatever nickname you guys make up to show he/she is the special someone (e.g. my sis in-law called my bro-in-law "Buny"... i'm not sure if it's the same as "bunny"... ^_^) The point is.. doesn't really matter what u want to call him/her.. or NOT want to call them anything else but their names. It doesn't matter, you just want to make sure that the world know he/she is your special one.

So I do too! I call my husband "Cinta" (love) not long after we started dating. In western culture calling your partner "love" is a common thing. Some think its old fashion. But still... it's quite common. But as Indonesian, not a lot of people use the word "cinta" to call their partner. At least not among my friends! They thought it was so tacky and cheesy!! Maybe its like calling ur partner "hey you, the love of my life"... and actually saying it every time and not just in cards.
But being us (me and my husband), we don't really care! That's how precious we are for each other and we just keep calling each other "cinta", with the occasional "babe", "hon...", etc.

And what's weird is... I was checking my friendster and see what's changed in my friends life and all that... then I noticed... hmm.... why is it that many of my friends starts calling their partner "Cinta"?? ... like... "Hey Cinta... I love u.. bla bla bla.."; "I miss you Cinta... bla bla.." Most are the very same people who used to giggle at us or raised their eyebrows when they heard us use the word "Cinta". I know its not uncommon either that people do call their love one "Cinta" but it's just amazing for myself to see how "Cinta" can be quite famously used now. ^_^ Honestly, as far as we know, when we used it no one else that we know used it... because of that very reason: tawdry and cheesy! Unless off course.... people used it privately! hmm... I told my husband and we both couldn't really comment anything but smile at each other. maybe if my baby is a girl, I should name it Cinta just as a reminder. =p
But it's just funny how life is a trend even what you call your partner!

I also noticed different age groups have different common callings. I remembered most people I knew, when Gabriel and I only started dating (that's like when we were only 17-18 yrs old), called their love ones "baby", "babe", "say"(from "sayang" = love), or just simply, their names. Those are the common calls. Not a lot of people use "honey or hon", left alone "Cinta". I think it was my Pastor and his wife that used "hon" as their daily calling for each other. And I never have called my husband "hon" before, but since you heard it often from other people (in my case from my Pastor), I now call my husband "hon" sometimes. And funnily enough, I only started using it not long ago, maybe a few months before we got married. As personally I always thought the nick "honey or hon" are for the "older generation" or "married people"... like "darling" is way too old and odd to call your 18 yrs old boyfriend!
But that's just me! Then, since I was soon to be just that (part of the older generation... T.T), maybe unconsciously, mentally I accepted "honey" as an acceptable call out for us. =p

Anyway, whatever it is that you think acceptable or not, sweet or just plain cheesy, I guess trend, tackiness and cheesiness does come around when people are in love. I mean, romanticism and cheesiness are only a thin line when it comes to love.... right?? ^_^
I don't know.. you tell me!

Besides, what's important is, for other people to know that he/she is YOUR special someone..... so stay away!!! hahaha..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home